Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Trip to Aegina Part III

So, now I am safely back in my apartment in Athens, and ready to fill in the remainder of my trip...

We woke up early and met up downstairs in the restaurant/lobby of the hotel. On the way down, of course I trip and almost smack my head on the marble stairs, being the total klutz that I am. After I finally make it down the stairs, we go into the restaurant to check out, and the proprietors wife had just arrived from Athens. We started talking to her and it turned out she was from Elmwood Park! Which is the suburb of Chicago right next to where my Greek grandparents live. She had come to Greece on vacation when she was 20 in 1977 and had fallen in love Aegina Island and then with Nikos, her future husband. They returned to Chicago for 2 1/2 years and then in 1985 they had purchased the Kavos Bay hotel we stayed in, and moved there permanently. After telling us her life story, she invited us to come back to Kavos Bay for Orthodox Easter which is this Sunday. They will be doing the traditional lamb roast on the spit and going to church and just having a huge party! So, of course, we will have to attend, as Easter is a time to leave Athens in Greece and return to your hometown. We are adopting Nikos and Ireni as our extra set of grandparents for this easter! haha. Honestly, Stavros, Lydia and I are already booking the tickets and can't wait!

And all this happened in the first half hour after leaving our rooms.

Then they drove us into town to catch the bus to Aegina Town, where the ferry departs from. Just as we are pulling into town, the bus goes by and our driver flags it down for us and we hop on. After a crazy bus ride up and down hillsides at a break neck speed in a normal sized city bus we arrive in Aegina Town. First, we decided to get breakfast. Then we wandered around until our ferry came. The ferry ride back was uneventful but beautiful, as would be expected. Then we hopped on the metro to Monasteraki. At the stop right after Piraeus an elderly woman got on the train with a live chicken in a box. Stavros and I were incredulous, to say the least, at the site of a live chicken on a throughly modern metro system. The woman asked us, in Greek of course, why we were laughing at her. And we responded, in our broken Greek, no! no! Chicken! And then burst out laughing again, this time the woman joined us. She got off at the next stop, taking her chicken with her.

And now I am back in my room and about to go get myself some Souvlaki before I have to go to class.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not sure if I am impressed or frightened at how much you remember and the fact that you write it all down.

Impressed.

Random Tim though. Have you talked much since? Facebook friend him...if he has one? Haha.