Sunday, April 8, 2007

Re: Well, somethings are disappointing, and others are better than ever

Alright, so, simply put, my dates were unmitigated disasters. Both guys were boring, one was WAY too forward and I had to get up and leave, while the other talked on his cell phone the whole time. AND they both chain smoked. GROSS. So, leaving that at that, on to the fun part of my trip...

I went to Aegina for a traditional Greek Easter with the family that we met earlier this week. It was pretty much the coolest experience of my entire life. On Saturday at midnight we went to church and lit candles from the holy light that traveled all the way from Israel. After that we went back to their house for a huge feast that included Margheritza, a soup that is only served on the night that Christ rose from the dead (Easter). We played the traditional "crack the red egg" game that I always used to play with my YiaYia and Papoulie. At around 2am we finally stopped eating and went to bed -- only to start right up again the next day.

On Easter Sunday Greek families always get together for tons of food and dancing. They also always roast an entire lamb on a spit. The family we were staying with, did both, and it was awesome. We ate an enormous amount of food and then had to come back to Athens, to write our essays for our class tomorrow. Which is what I should be doing right now, but I am so tired, I am just going to bed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Who are they? Names, social security numbers? I'll handle it.

2. Sounds like an awesome time. Save some fun for me.

3. Don't let the haters bring you down....or not haters...butt pies?

Haha, love you.

D. said...

First of all. Χρόνια Πολλά!
I'm sorry to read about your disastrous "dating" experience. There are many greek (and European in general) guys out there who have bought into the stereotypes about American girls which are propagated by such "œuvres d'art" as "American Pie" and "Eurotrip"... too bad for them and for you. I really wish I could make up for that by demonstrating a different face of the modern greek guy ;).

Matt Maldre said...

wooooo! I'm glad you are having a good time despite the chainsmokin men!

Unknown said...

As your sister I have the following questions. Who is this "d." character? How old is he? Is he married?

d.........

D. said...

Bridgit: I'm 78 years old, married four times, a convicted bank robber and confidence trickster. Happy now? :P :P :P

(oh and I am also a communist :P)

Unknown said...

D: Tricks on you, I approve of communism.

Are you an athiest, because if so then I say you're marriage material.

D. said...

Bridgit: My middle name is "Dawkins" :P. So, can I marry your sister now?
:P

Kara Bou Hoops said...

I feel kind of very special with all of this action going on my blog. ;)