Friday, July 25, 2008

Well, I'm no longer in Greece...

but strange shit still keeps happening to me, so I figured it was easier to just write about here than start a whole new blog.

Quick update on my life: I graduated college in June '08, started a real grown up office job and moved into the sweetest apartment ever in Ukrainian Village in July '08 and we still don't have any furniture.

Now on to the more ridiculous minutiae of my life.

I've been seeing a (VERY) Greek boy for about 2 weeks now. In my book, that does not mean we are exclusive or, even that we are dating, we're just enjoying getting to know each other and testing the ground for a possible future relationship. That is perfectly reasonable, right?

Well, last night I agreed to go get dinner with Greek Boy and his friend, as well as my roommate. I explained that I had to be up early for work the next day, and I had a project to finish that night so I had to make it an early evening. He agrees to pick me up at seven for dinner. Naive me, I think that means he actually heard what I said and intends to respect my wishes. Of course not.

First, he shows up at 10 minutes to 8pm, at which point I am already considering canceling because this is going to go later than I intended. Then he informs me that we are going to Gameworks, which is just like Dave and Busters but "WAY BETTER!". Cool.

So, we start driving north, and then 1/2 and hour later we are still driving north. So I ask,

"Where exactly is this place?"
"Oh, It's only like 15 more minutes his friend responds."

15 minutes of driving West later, we are in Evanston. Ok? The suburbs?? So, again I ask, Where is this place? And I finally get a straight answer -- Woodfield Mall. Now, I know Woodfield is somewhere in the suburbs, but I don't really remember at this point I am getting very concerned. As my date is seeming increasingly intoxicated from drinking out of a Big Gulp. How is that possible, I'm thinking? Oh right, I'm an idiot. Apparently he is still a frat boy who needs to "pregame" activities at 27 fucking years old. AND THEN DRIVE ME.

So, at this point I am sure we are going to die in a drunk driving crash, or at the very least be trapped with two drunk guys in a Lexus SUV. By the time we reach Gameworks we've been in the car for over an hour. Its past 9pm, my roommate and I are starving and we both wish we were already back home.

Finally we get inside Gameworks, my roommate and I both eat, but neither of the guys do because they don't want to "ruin their buzz." WHERE DO I FIND THESE PEOPLE??? They proceed to drink 3 hennesy and cokes each, while my roommate and I try and hold a conversation with them. I did say, Look, I have to go back soon. I have work tomorrow and a project to finish tonight. I can't stay here late with you."

And Greek Boy responds "I planned this on purpose. You always set time limits on our dates and I HATE IT. This way I get to hang out with you longer."

Ok, that would be beyond charming and romantic if we were IN CAVEMAN TIMES. I have a job that is very time consuming, high powered (at least in my own head) but important to me and my own complete life -- but thank goodness a big strong man came by to sweep me off my feet and drag me to Gameworks?!?! No thanks.

We finish eating, but they are no where near done drinking and by now it 10:30pm. Finally, I put my foot down and say "We have to leave by 10:45. (My Roommate) and I cannot stay any longer."

Of course he starts pouting and I get pissed because this is beyond ridiculous. Luckily, his friend realizes that Greek Boy is pushing his luck and we better go. On the way out, my roommate the friend head out first, so Greek Boy and I are walking out together, and he grabs me once they've walked away to quiz me about who else I am dating. And proceeds to tell me this story:

"I have 5 other girls calling me, begging me to sleep with them. I don't call them back, I don't text them since I met you. You know why? I REALLY LIKE YOU. They are texting me saying (Greek Boy) just come over for a little while tonight. Please! But I still say no."

So I responded, "So, call them back? I'm not about to start begging you for shit."

And obviously that didn't go over well. We finally get out to the car and he is driving like a, oh , I don't know, drunk driver, weaving between cars, going way too fast and just generally being reckless while TEXTING. (no way was I going to rise to that bait)

When we finally get back to my place at 11:45pm (which is definitely past my work night bedtime -- sorry if I'm lame, but I gotta get up early) he then starts telling me "I wanna go inside wit u." over and over.

So I respond "No." over and over.

He says, "I don't understand whats with this no all the time?"

"Well, you'd better get used to it."

And then I go inside. Haven't heard from him all day today, but he is definitely going to have to seriously change tactics if he intends to ever see me again.

And that is just the beginning of the ridiculous saga that is my life.

No comments: