Monday, July 28, 2008

I just ate soup

It is yet another day at work with nothing to do. Shit. My boss is out of town which leaves me with a pretty much wide open day. My work is all quick turn around FIX THIS NOW shit so if he is not here, its really hard for me to fill my day.

Additionally, nothing new/ridiculous has happened to me, so I don't even have something to write about. Oh, actually -- I filed the paperwork today to sue a (former) friend in small claims court. It is unfortunate that it had to come to this, because in the end it is going to cost her significantly more than if she had just paid me in the first place.

This friend decided to take over the lease to my apartment after I moved out upon graduating...and I agreed to sell her my furniture. Seems simple enough, right? Well, this girl and her future roommate had to come THREE different times to see the furniture we were selling. The first time she said she would take it all, then the next time only some of it and the final time she came up with a drastically reduced list of things she wanted. Basically just the expensive stuff like the AC/TV/kitchen stuff... Whatever, fine with me. I told her she could have the rest of it for free because at the point it was June 13 -- the day before my graduation and my move out so I didn't really have time to move/sell it.

She shows up with her check that evening and we let her move a bunch of her shit in to our place to store since she was moving out of the dorms. Well we expected she would show up at a certain time and then take around an hour -- oh no, she showed up 45 minutes late and stayed for 2 1/2 hours while our parents (who were all in town for graduation) waited on them to finish up. They scattered their shit EVERYWHERE making a total disaster out of our apartment when we still were living there. And this first gave us a check for the first part of the money and promised to mail one the next day to us.

The next day was graduation and my graduation party so I was busy from around 9am to about 8pm with family stuff -- including the big party my parents threw for me. That didn't stop my friend and her roommate from calling/texting ALL DAY trying to get into the apartment that they couldn't legally access until the next day when their lease started. I wasn't in HP and had no plans to go back since I had turned in my keys to MAC already and moved out all my stuff so I told her that I couldn't help her and she needed to ask my other roommate. While, my other roommate had stuff she was doing as well and wasn't able to make it back to Hyde Park, but that didn't stop this friend from continually bothering both of us all day to try to get into the apartment.

Well, obviously she never sent me the additional money. But around two weeks later she did leave my roommate a message saying (and this really is real, I know it's hard to believe -- but its real) paraphrased:

"Hey (roommate), so I just got my bed frame and took an hour putting it together -- and the mattress won't fit. I guess I bought a double frame. So, do you want to refund me the cost of the mattress or buy me a new frame?"

Um, hell no. You haven't even paid for everything yet and you made a mistake that we should pay for? I think not.

So we sent them an e-mail requesting the remainder of the money. 5 days goes by and no response. So, I send them another e-mail, 4 more days go by and no response. So, I sent them a notice of intent to sue giving them 10 days to pay us or we would file in court. And I get a response that says she's been too busy to sift through "each and every e-mail in the reg." and "Money is not an issue. It is purely principle that we are upset about."

Uh, what principle? The principle that you are spoiled brats and didn't feel like paying after you got all of our furniture and we went out of our way to help you?

Yeah, this makes me so grateful for small claims.

No comments: